If you would like to be involved in any of the events below as a participant, photographer or film maker, please contact us and we will put you in touch with the relevant people.
2015 Free Money Day Events
How It Works
Step 1 – SignUp (Click to expand)
• Check out our reasons for holding Free Money Day (this can also provide you with information to discuss on the day with interested people)
• Review the detailed instructions and resources for holding your event
• Register your Free Money Day event (top right of this page)
Step 2 – Hold your Event
• Get some friends together to help you out (the more the better)
• Create a sign saying ‘Free Money Day!’ – make it big, bold, and eye-catching
• Change your money for coins or notes and put them in a bucket or container
• Find an appropriate public place
• Hold up your Free Money Day sign
• Until you run out, hand out the same kind of coin or note, two at a time, asking recipients to pass one of these on to someone else
• Feel free to talk with people who are interested in discussing more, and share the website: www.freemoneyday.org
• Take photos and/or film the event (try to get public comments/reactions on camera – you may need people on camera to sign a release form or otherwise indicate that it’s okay to use their image)
Step 3 – Promote What Happens
• Let us know how much money you gave away and what happened – how long did it take before someone asked what it was all about? How were the overall reactions? What did people want to discuss, if anything?
• Tweet about the event using the hashtag #freemoneyday and link to us at @freemoneyday; post a story to your Facebook profile and ‘tag’ the Free Money Day Facebook page (you must ‘like’ the page first, then use the ‘@’ sign to ‘tag’ from a drop down list); write a blog post.
Detailed Instructions & Resources
Make sure you have read through the event’s Frequently Asked Questions.